Chia Ho Choon (Mr.)
Education and Professional Membership
- National University of Singapore, LL.B (Hons)
- Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration, The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Arbitrator Member, National Commercial Arbitration Centre (NCAC)
- Accredited Mediator (Level 3), Singapore International Mediation Institute (SIMI)
- Panel of Principal Mediators and Panel of Coaches with the Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC)
- Council Member, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Reserve Panel of Arbitrators, Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Law Society of Singapore
- Deputy Director of SK&P Cambodia Law Firm
- Attorney-at-law of the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia and a member of Civil Committee
- Lecturer of Law of the Universities
- Commercial arbitrator of NCAC
- Acted as arbitrator in SIAC arbitrations involving construction disputes.
- Acted as arbitrator in a LSAS arbitration involving the termination of a tenancy and alleged defects to the premises.
- Acted for clients in a LCIA mediation in London.
- Acted as Adjudicator in applications under the Building on Construction Industry Security of Payment Act.
- Acted for clients in prosecuting and defending claims under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act.
- Acted as mediator in SMC and LSMS mediations.
- Successfully acted for a Vietnamese company, which is the dealer of heavy machinery and equipment, in an SIAC arbitration brought by the former dealer, alleging breaches of a "nondisclosure and non-circumvention agreement" claiming Wrotham Park damages which the Claimant estimated at an amount not exceeding US$39 million.
- Acted for a Korean company in a multi-million dollar ICC arbitration involving two Korean companies and a Chinese company.
- Acted for project managers/engineers on instructions of their Insurers in a US$12 million SIAC arbitration involving a development project in Vietnam.
- Acted for re-insurance brokers based in India in its claim in an SIAC arbitration against another reinsurance broker incorporated in Labuan pursuant to a co-operation Agreement between the two brokers in relation to brokerage business in Thailand. The claim was for approximately US$3 million, and the counterclaim was for approximately US$4 million.
- Acted for a Church in an arbitration with the Design and Build Contractor in respect of numerous defects arising from the construction of the church under the Arbitration Rules of the Singapore Institute of Architects.
- Acted for engineers on instructions of their insurers in a claim against the engineers for the collapse of a roof canopy in Thailand, initially commenced in the High Court and subsequently referred to ad hoc arbitration.
- Acted for a firm of architects in a S$9 million claim by the design and build contractor alleging breach of contractual duty and negligence.
- Acted as counsel in 3 related SIAC arbitrations relating to disputes amongst the shareholders and with related companies over a joint venture to operate a restaurant, sports bar and al fresco bar.
- Acted as counsel in a SIAC arbitration involving an international sale of coal.
- Acted for main contractors in an arbitration against sub-contractors on the issue of the “pay when paid” clause.
- Acted for clients in disputes before the Strata Titles Board, and in relation to collective sales.